Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Vibraphone Addendum

I finally found this on YouTube and had to share. The track is called, "Times Like These," and it's from the Gary Burton and Makoto Ozone album called, "Face to Face."

Here's the story: Burton and Ozone came to Salt Lake City's Jazz at the Sheraton series in 2000*. They played this tune at the end of the first set, and when it was done nobody clapped for almost a full minute. It was one of those mesmerizing concert moments where the entire audience somehow recognizes the magic spell that has been cast and realizes that the moment somebody claps it will be broken.

When the applause finally started, it was an almost instantaneous standing ovation that lasted for several minutes.

Not only had I never heard a piano and vibraphone duet before (let alone an entire concert), I wasn't all that excited to attend because I knew there wasn't going to be a drummer. Man, was I wrong! This tune touched my heart in a completely new way, and helped me to realize what has become one of my deepest held beliefs:

The power of music is the music itself. The instrument is just the method of delivery.


I hope you enjoy the track as much as I do. Turn it up loud, close your eyes, and let it take you on a journey.




*Coincidentally, I attended PASIC later that same year in Dallas, TX, and saw them perform this tune again with the same effect on the audience. It really helped to solidify my respect for GB and MO, as well as my love for percussion and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why musicians should watch the big game (Seriously!)

Photo by  Ameer Basheer  on  Unsplash Here we are, about to watch another televised wrestling match over who puts a football on one en...