Sunday, January 1, 2012

No New Year's Resolutions!!

I'm serious! Don't make ANY New Year's Resolutions! They're hazardous to your health, and I mean that sincerely.

When I say resolutions, I mean those useless generalizations like, "Lose weight," or "Read more books." Musicians say things like, "Practice more," or "Get better."

Two words for you: USE. LESS. That's like wandering around a maze and feeling good about yourself because you're still walking. Nice. Or not!

Allow me to suggest something better: set specific goals. Specific goals are aims that are measurable and achievable, and that point at your larger overall goals.

For example, say you really do want to "get better." (Don't we all?) Start by defining this goal. What does it mean to get better? Are you faster, louder, softer, more creative or keep better time? Write down a handful (5-6) of items that describe each of your goals.

Finally, write the answer to this question for each of your goals: How will I know when I've achieved this goal? The answer to that question will guide you to make actual, real improvements this year.

Okay, two things I've heard this year (via Twitter) that I absolutely have to pass on:

"
Instead of resolution, try re-solution: apply a new solution to an old problem."

1 Jan
RT from Nike: "Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.""

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why musicians should watch the big game (Seriously!)

Photo by  Ameer Basheer  on  Unsplash Here we are, about to watch another televised wrestling match over who puts a football on one en...