Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bag of Tricks: '80s Drum Fill

This is a simple, sweet little fill from the 1986 Howard Jones tune, "No One Is To Blame." This fill occurs at the 1:40 mark of the video.

Really play down the diddles on the snare drum. They're almost ghost notes on the recording.

One caveat is that, while it's very good, standard notation can't capture every nuance of a musical idea or phrase. Like many others, I believe that the real music happens beyond the black and white of the printed music. So listen carefully, practice the printed transcription, and then experiment with your interpretation. And if you find a better way to write it, let me know!



Happy drumming!

1 comment:

  1. (Yep. Commenting on my own blog. Pathetic? I hope not...) I can't get over how much I love this song. It always brings back the memory of 4th grade when my family moved to a different state. I was only nine years old, but I somehow really related to the idea of not being able to quite reach what you wanted. "You can look at the menu, but you just can't eat."
    Classic. Thanks, HoJo!

    ReplyDelete

Why musicians should watch the big game (Seriously!)

Photo by  Ameer Basheer  on  Unsplash Here we are, about to watch another televised wrestling match over who puts a football on one en...